Wednesday, November 16, 2016

November 16: Nosh

In a rush today, still catching up on projects. The Occidental Food Truck schedule said that Delfino's (tried it), El Cabrito (tried it), Chicken Over Rice (doesn't sound good), and Nosh were in the square. Co-workers mentioned in the past that the fish and chips was really good, so I planned to get it.

Then I saw they served rabbit, and decided to send my lunch off the rails. Never mind that I've never had rabbit before. I heard it tastes like chicken. The guy behind me in line told his friend it tastes like chicken. It looks like chicken. Chicken sounds OK today.

My order, with fries and a mint raspberry Arnold Palmer, came up quickly, despite the line of a dozen people ordering. I brought it back inside the office to my workbench to eat.

I gently bit into the end of the thick slab of breaded meat, not knowing what to expect. There's a bone, just like chicken. The buttermilk breading is thin but adhered well, not overly spiced. The meat looks like chicken, but really, tastes more like dark meat turkey. It's tender, and doesn't stick to the bone as firmly as a chicken drumstick would. It's quite greasy, a four-napkin meal. Granted, the menu describes it as an "olive oil confit," but until I just checked Wikipedia, I didn't know that it meant it was slow cooked in oil. Fair enough. I learned something today.

The fries are salted a little heavily, but that's fine. The drink is strong on the sweet, light on the mint.

I avoided eating the cabbage/apple blend, because, I mean, really, that stuff's rabbit food.

Nosh
Truck on Occidental Square
Rabbit, fries, Arnold Palmer, $14.25

No comments:

Post a Comment