Wednesday, March 8, 2017

March 6: Jack's Fish Spot

In search of daffodils and postage stamps, I wandered up to Pike Place during a sunbreak after the morning's light snow. After wandering the stalls of the main market, seeing no daffodils, I decided I wanted a quick lunch. The seafood stands gave me a craving for fish and chips, and I considered Pike Place Chowder, but the line there is always so long. I spotted Jack's Fish Spot on my way out and figured I'd give it a shot.

I've never been to the UK, and I haven't tried Gordon Ramsey's new joint in Vegas, but the fish and chips here are my idea of what authentic British fish and chips ought to be. It may be the best I've ever had. Sorry, Ivar's.

I ordered the 3-piece cod, which was served as six smaller pieces over a bed of floppy skin-on French fries. It's hot enough to burn my mouth, flavorful yet mild, flaky, crispy, tasty goodness. I'm writing this review two days later, and I'm craving it again.

Seating is tight, with round diner stools pressed up against each other at the stainless steel counter, but on this chilly afternoon, I didn't have to rub elbows with the tourists next to me. In the summer, I'm sure this place is packed.

So good. So cheap. I so plan on going there again very, very soon.

(Postage stamps acquired. Daffodils won't be out until next week.)

Jack's Fish Spot
1514 Pike Place (facing the pig; it's behind your right shoulder, corner of Pike Place and Post Alley)
Cod, fries, Diet Coke, $9.90

1 comment:

  1. I've eaten here two more times in the off season, and this may be the best fish and chips in town. I tried to eat here over the summer, but the crowds... not happening.

    ReplyDelete