Wednesday, May 3, 2017

May 2: Kraken Congee

[Closed July 29, 2017]

I'm sure that this is amazingly good congee. It's a tad on the expensive side but it gets great reviews and folks who know congee recommend it highly.

Unfortunately, after trying congee at Lucky Dragon (Las Vegas) and now at Kraken Congee, I realize this: I don't like congee. I can't give it a fair review. So instead, I turn to my good friend Stefon for a tour of their menu.

"Opened in 2013, its deep underground vibe has everything. Steep stairs, bricks, and a soundtrack from the playlist of a 1997 syphilitic leprechaun. Travis had a dish I call 'Piggy had nothing.'"

And what's that, Stefon?

"That's when you get pork belly, congee, corn nuts, Depeche Mode crying, and a creepy girl hiding from a coyote wailing about his caviar-filled flowers."

Ooookay. And what else?

"Your co-worker liked his 'Barenaked Swaduckenee.' Remember that?"

I don't think that's on the menu, Stefon.

"Well, they call it 'duck confit,' but it's a bowl with duck parts, bok choy, a raw chicken egg, congee, and chickety-china, the Chinese churro, served while Björk questions your life choices while wearing feathers from your meal."

OK, I think that's enough, Stefon.

"Shout out to my Wu-Tang brother, Ghostface Killah!"

Kraken Congee
88 Yesler Way, downstairs
Pork belly adobo congee, Chinese donut, lemonade, $23.70


2 comments:

  1. Oh this was hilarious! Thanks for the humor to start off my Friday!

    Susan 4th floor SE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eater.com says this place closed July 29. I didn't notice.

    ReplyDelete