Thursday, July 13, 2017

July 12: RPM Pizza and Records


[Edit, March 5, 2018: It's re-open!]

[Closed - December 3, 2017]

This place snuck in under my radar, but I spotted a story from SeattleMet.com earlier this week: RPM Pizza opened on July 6. "Short for Revolution Pizza Music, [Harvey Ward] Van Allen—part of the crew behind other Pioneer Square outposts Altstadt and Casco Antiguo—is bringing exactly that: 'The concept is pizza and records first and foremost...and beer and wine.'"

I've said in the past that tough to decide on the best nearby pizza: Pizza Professionals and Post Alley Pizza are both very good. But it's not a tough decision anymore. RPM Pizza has them beat.

It's located in the former Il Corvo Pasta Studio space, between Good Bar and Flatstick Pub, so close I could probably lean out of my office window and catch a whiff of the dough. Upon entering, there's a sign indicating that you can either order at the counter or grab a seat for table service. I parked myself at a table, looked over the menu, and went simple: a slice of pepperoni and a cola. While I was waiting, I watched the cook deftly spin a pizza crust, I glanced at the shelf of vinyl records for sale, and, multiple times, I mistook the waitstaff who were punching orders into the system as DJs preparing to drop sick beats. The music is loud, but not offensively so.

The "slice" arrived, and it was easy to see why the price is slightly higher than Pizza Pros and Post Alley: it's a quarter pizza. And it's practically perfect. RPM uses smaller pepperoni which curls up when cooked, making each little disk into a tiny boat holding a tidepool of grease. The proper way to deal with the grease is to sprinkle grated parm into each pepperoni-pool, soaking it up and adding to the perfection. Done.

The crust that was previously spinning behind the counter comes out of the oven crispy and thin, not like a floppy New York slice nor a noodle-less Chicago lasagna slice. As I devoured it, at no time did the cheese slide off, threatening my chin or shirt and leaving a cheese-less bite on the slice. I don't know how to ensure proper cheese adhesion, especially when the layer of sauce felt a little thicker than I expected, but RPM did it magically well.
Sodas come from Boylan Soda (New York), and at $4, are more expensive than the $3 PBRs. So hipster. Service was quick and attentive. It seemed busy and a little on the crowded side. And as more people find out about it, there could be quite a wait for a seat and a slice.

Best pizza in Seattle? I don't know. Best pizza in Pioneer Square? Absolutely yes.

RPM Pizza and Records
240 2nd Ave. S.
Pepperoni slice, Boylan cola, $12.46

2 comments:

  1. Visited again today. Sodas are now less expensive and more mainstream A&W or RC Cola, but the pizza's just as good, and the service just as friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the day before Thanksgiving, the pizza was still good, and the Rainier was, well, Rainier, which has become the northwest hipster beer, because PBR is too mainstream.

    ReplyDelete