Wednesday, March 29, 2017

March 28: Din Tai Fung

When I first heard we were moving the office to Seattle, one of the highlights, in my mind, was the proximity to the International District and the potential of dim sum for lunch every week.

TThose expectations escalated in December 2015 when I learned that Din Tai Fung was due to open last summer. My expectations were tempered somewhat by a Las Vegas discussion forum, when I'd mentioned that the only dim sum I'd had was at Din Tai Fung in Bellevue and the U District, and at Yong Kang Street at the Paris hotel in Vegas. "You've had the best in the country," I was told, meaning all other dim sum would be lesser quality.

Din Tai Fung missed their opening date, and for my first meal in town, I instead made the mistake of eating at Ping's Dumpling House. Gritty pork is bad pork.

DTF was supposed to open for the holiday, and then got pushed out to early January. I'd given up on them, but was surprised at lunch on Monday (Shanghai Garden, same great food as last time) by a co-worker's statement that they were finally open. Apparently, they opened in early March.

I expected to encounter a long line, and I did, but as a solo diner, I was able to get on their special "bar seating" list and got a seat almost immediately. There were other parties of two and three on that list, so there's a hack for you.

It's the best dim sum in the country, and the price reflects it. As always, I ordered the pork xiao long bao: outstanding soup dumplings that literally spout scalding broth into your mouth. Paired with a side of rice and a pot of tea, it was again the best Chinese food I've had.

Din Tai Fung
600 Pine Street (Pacific Place)
Pork xiao long bao, rice, tea, $24.00

No comments:

Post a Comment