Thursday, May 18, 2017

May 18: Wood Shop BBQ

I've gotten several food suggestions from co-workers and other locals, but this is the first I received from out-of-state. Las Vegas-based acquaintance Mitzula tweeted out last Friday, announcing the grand opening of Wood Shop BBQ's brick and mortar location out in Leschi:


That's a long walk, a set of inconvenient bus rides, or a couple of cheap Uber rides. However, their food truck has recently appeared in Occidental Park for lunch on Thursdays, just a few feet from my desk. I considered ordering them on Uber Eats last Friday, but by the time I tried, they were unavailable. I circled today on the calendar and waited.

Meanwhile, I asked Mitzula what was good.


I ordered the "Woody": pulled pork, smoked jalapeno mac & cheese, pickled red onions, and BBQ sauce. A few minutes later, a tray of goodness was handed over. I grabbed a fork and some napkins, headed back into the office, and dug in.

Mitzula's right. The mac & cheese is legit.

The macaroni is a firm pipe rigate (thanks, Google!) that holds the creamy sharp cheese like an open-ended tortellini. The jalapeno is subtle at first but wakes up after a few moments. The BBQ sauce is sweet and tangy. The pulled pork was, perhaps, a little too moist, but that's a matter of personal preference; it was till very good. The pickled onion was crisp and mild.

So, next time I'm craving BBQ pulled pork, do I get it here or at Hole In The Wall? Tough choice. Hole's pork is slightly smokier and chewier, but their cornbread isn't as good as Wood Shop's mac & cheese. I think it'll come down to this: if it's Thursday, Wood Shop. Any other day, Hole In The Wall.

Wood Shop BBQ
Food truck on Occidental Square (and 2513 S. Jackson)
The "Woody": pulled pork over mac & cheese, $12.11


No comments:

Post a Comment