Friday, October 28, 2016

October 28: El Cabrito Oaxaca

No time for a big lunch today. Fortunately, there's taco trucks on every corner. This one, El Cabrito Oaxaca, was right outside the front door.

We're fortunate to live in an area with such outstanding Mexican food, a fact I didn't really appreciate until recently. Sure, I knew that the dinner I had at Don Paco in West Virginia several years ago was one of the worst highly-recommended meals I've had, but last April I had dinner at Pinches Tacos in Las Vegas, which also came highly recommended, and it was just OK. Two weeks ago, I had tacos at the most hyped taco stand in Vegas, Tacos El Gordo, and sure, they were good, but really, just as good as the tacos I get a few blocks from my house (Taquería El Antojo). El Cabrito Oaxaca was just as good.

If you've been to a taco truck, or if you've ever had street tacos, you know what to expect. That's exactly what this was. I ordered four chicken tacos, beans, and rice. The tacos were heavily cilantroed, which some folks like my daughter would absolutely hate, but she didn't get those genetics from me. Both the tacos and the beans had white shredded cheese on it, which I assume, given the truck's name, was Oaxaca cheese.

I brought my lunch inside, then up to the roof to overlook Seattle while I ate. It was exactly what I expected. Double corn tortilla, diced chicken, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and a lime wedge. The beans and rice were packaged separately in a to-go box. I inhaled it all and sped back to my desk.

Tasty. And if we're going to insist on building a wall, would making one out of taco trucks be a bad idea? I think not.

El Cabrito Oaxaca
Truck on Occidental Square
Four chicken tacos, beans, rice, no drink, $9.86

No comments:

Post a Comment