Wednesday, October 5, 2016

October 5: Thai Curry Simple (and Los Agaves)

Both the Timberlands IT crew and one of our lawyers, unknown to each other, went to Tat's Deli today. Although I was invited, doing so would violate my "no-duplicates until December" rule (see September 20), so I went looking elsewhere.

Another co-worker last week suggested Thai Curry Simple, describing it as a hole in the wall with quick service, limited selections, but authentic and delicious. She's dead on, four-for-four.

It's close, literally right across 5th Avenue from the International District station. I walked, but for particularly lazy co-workers, it's also just one streetcar stop away. My oblivious self also noticed, for the first time, a new Bartell Drugs store at the corner of 4th and Jackson. It's been open for a few months, but it still has that new store smell. I note that they do growler fills of Mac and Jacks for under $10, plus a rotating local selection (I spotted Seattle Cider) so that's something I'll be keeping an eye on.

So, Thai Curry Simple. It is indeed a small place, with around 24 seats. Selections are limited, with only seven things on the menu, with a few variations of each. I can't speak to the authenticity, because my Thai food experience was limited to Indochine in Tacoma and Federal Way, but the chicken pad thai was just as delicious at around half the price. Yelp lists 14 Thai restaurants near Pioneer Square; Thai Curry Simple is ranked number 1.

The pad thai consisted of well-cooked noodles, thin bite-sized chicken chunks, chopped peanuts, crunchy bean sprouts (I live dangerously), and a sauce that was remarkable for its lack of spiciness. They never asked the spiciness level, and I didn't offer. Ordering is at the counter, and they had it to my table in just a few minutes. Yeah, I'd go there again.

I didn't finish it all, not because it wasn't good, but because I'd already eaten a mammoth breakfast burrito this morning. I'd had a small meal last night, was slightly frustrated at a no-show early morning meeting at work, and was hungry at around 9 AM.

I've been eyeing the UberEats app on my phone for weeks, and after considering a walk to Top Pot donuts, or a walk to Starbucks, decided I felt lazy and entitled enough to have someone bring me a burrito. Tap, tap, tap, and my bacon/cheese/egg/onion/tomato burrito arrived at the office in about 30 minutes, still hot enough that the cheese was dangerous. Pretty good. UberEats tells me it's from Los Agaves, a Mexican street food joint in Pike Place Market. I ate it before I realized I should have taken a photo, but take my word for it: foil-wrapped cheesy goodness. A little messy, a lot gluttonous, but worth every cent.
Can an e-mail subject line be any happier?
Thai Curry Simple
406 5th Ave. S.
Chicken Pad Thai, can of diet Coke, $10.91

Los Agaves via UberEats
Breakfast Burrito, $10.66
(use my kickback code "eats-uberTravisL" for $10 off your first order)


3 comments:

  1. Had lunch at Los Agaves in Pike Place Market yesterday. Their nachos were disappointing: gas station cheese sauce, chicken that tasted strangely like hamburger, and the worst: a dollop of cold refried beans. If that's a thing, well, it's not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had lunch at Thai Curry Simple again today. Same order of chicken pad thai. Took a few minutes, but it was delicious, beautifully plated, and this time, I ate the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lunch at Thai Curry Simple yesterday. Chicken pad see ew. With a can of Diet Coke, $11. Maybe the best Thai food for the price in Seattle. On par with Ferry Noodle House, just in a less ornate environment.

    ReplyDelete