Friday, November 18, 2016

November 18: Shawn O'Donnell's American Grill and Irish Pub

At around 12:30 this afternoon, a co-worker asked me, "where are you going for lunch today?" Crap -- I've lost track of time, and have no idea where I'm going. I'd considered MOD Pizza at Two Union Square, but didn't want to take the time to slog through the transit tunnel. Food trucks? Asian food (Bomba Fusion) and French dip sandwiches (Wet Buns) are my options, and those don't sound right today. Maybe today's the day I try Il Corvo? Nope -- today's specialty contains Brussels sprouts.

It occurred to me, though, that Shawn O'Donnell's was on the way there, in the base of the Smith Tower. Their lunch specials board always intrigued me when I walked by, making me think I should stop in one of these days. Why not today? Besides, they've got a bacon cheeseburger listed, and that sounds really good.

The place feels about a third full when I arrive, busy for a sit-down lunch spot around here. It's spacious and feels just like you'd expect an Irish pub in Seattle to feel: lots of wood, signs on every surface advertising whiskeys, Guinness, and the Sounders,  The bartender is also my waiter, and welcomes me to sit anywhere I'd like. I grab a table near the door, which was subjected to a blast of cold November wind every time someone left, but that was my fault.

I look longingly at the whiskey list, and at the bar, and their happy hour specials later in the day. This really feels like the kind of place I could make my neighborhood bar, moreso than Good Bar or Fuel or McCoy's Firehouse. It might be my new favorite in the area. Upscale, but not pretentious. Loud, but not noisy. Wide variety. Friendly service.

But darn my company's alcohol rules!

He brings me an iced tea, and despite my initial desire for the cheeseburger, the two-piece fish and chips sound better for some reason. Perhaps I was still thinking about the good looking fish that was coming out of the Nosh truck on Wednesday. I'm expecting Sysco's finest mass-produced cod filets, and there's nothing in the lunch special section of the menu to suggest otherwise, but I order it anyway.

After just a few minutes of watching Leverkusen come back to tie Leipzig in a football match (spoiler: Leipzig came back to win after I left), the bartender delivers the basket of fish and chips. The fish looks good, and somewhat mis-shapen for mass-produced cod. I squeezed the lemon wedge over the filets and bite into one, slightly scalding my tongue. It's really good. Despite my mistaken thought that it may be mass-produced Sysco fish (spoiler: it's not), but it was tasty.

(Back at the office, I looked at their full menu. "We start with fresh snow-white cod, then cut it, lightly bread it, and fry it up all right in the building. Served with fries and our house made tartar." That's why it was so good.)

I dig into the fries, and they're good, too. No complaints.

The bartender is quick to clear my basket when I'm done, offering extra fries if I wanted them (I declined). He delivers the check quickly, I sign it, and I'm out of there with plenty of lunch hour time left. It was an excellent experience all around.

Shawn O'Donnell's American Grill and Irish Pub
Smith Tower, 508 2nd Ave.
Fish and chips, iced tea, $15.14

2 comments:

  1. Returned in late December with three co-workers and had the Dubliner Melt, "turkey coated in aged Dubliner cheese accompanied by sauteed mushrooms, [hold the tomatoes], and crispy bacon" with a sweet sauce. Again, very good. $18.33 with iced tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visited again on July 13, this time with my wife. Service was quick and friendly; the waitress remembered me from my (undocumented) previous visit several weeks ago. The fish was as good as always, and this time, I went for the extra fries. My wife had the shepherd's pie, which she said was pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete