Friday, October 27, 2017

October 27: Manu's Bodega

Sigh

Sitting at my desk around noon today, I'm considering where to go for lunch. As the 89 other posts on this site attest to, there's a lot of choices, but nothing sounds appetizing. Dinner last night was Italian, we're likely to order pizza and watch Stranger Things tonight, I think I'm still digesting the Pick-Quick burger from earlier this week, and walking to Pike Place for fish and chips doesn't seem worth it. Maybe a sandwich from Tat's? No, just not that hungry. And really, just not that motivated.

From out of nowhere, I get an empanada craving. I think I've only ever had empanadas twice before: once was two years ago, a bake-it-yourself version I bought from Pampeana at a farmers market, surprisingly now showing up on several lists of best local empanadas. Before that, my first empanada was in Ellensburg, at the now-closed "Earthquake Empanadas", to eat with a fresh hefeweizen at the Iron Horse Pub next door. What I'm saying, I guess, is that I don't know what makes a good empanada, but I'm willing to find out. If you know empanadas, sorry for my ignorance.

The general consensus of the best empanadas near Pioneer Square is Manu's Bodega, a Dominican-focused place run by the same Manu Alfau who runs the Manu's Tacos window inside/next to Flatstick Pub. His Bodega is uphill a short walk, a block past the homeless folks gathered across from the Smith Tower. It's slightly below grade, in a wedge-shaped space in a wedge-shaped building on a wedge-shaped block. I placed my order at the counter and took the last of the five indoor tables. Several more tables on the patio were occupied.

I ordered the empanada plate, a tiny bit disappointed that a pork version wasn't available. Instead, for my two empanadas, I chose a beef one and a yam/gouda one. It arrived quickly, and my first impression frightened me: it was pretty, but the plate was ice cold. I dug into the rice and beans, and my fears dissipated.

The rice was hot, the pinto beans were warm. The menu says they use jasmine rice, and they've done it in a way where it's neither too dry nor too sticky. Well done. The pinto beans were OK, really not too notable. Good filler.

The empanadas looked identical, perfect half moons with crimped edges so I bit into the first one, not knowing which was which. It was the beef. I probably scarfed it down too quickly to notice, but the menu says it also contained olives, raisins, and hard boiled egg. I noticed something yellow, but by the time I thought to figure it out, I'd eaten it. Onto the yam!

I liked and savored that one much more. It was more flavorful, had a more pleasing texture, and just tasted better. Your mileage may vary.

I left the slaw and most of the chimichurri sauce; just not my thing. On the walk back to the office, a disabled woman next to me at the 2nd & Yesler crosswalk pointed and screamed profanities at demons only she could see and that I couldn't even imagine

Sigh.

Manu's Bodega
100 Prefontaine Place
Empanada plate, Coke, $15.69



No comments:

Post a Comment