Tuesday, September 20, 2016

September 1: Grand Central Bakery

Grand Central Bakery, our neighbor across Occidental Park has really done a good job marketing itself. They'd given us free pastries when we were in Federal Way, when my co-workers showed up later this month, we got free pastries again. But how's lunch?

The line here was fairly long, but moved quickly. I ordered a tuna melt, chips, cookie, and soda, and then waited for it to be made. And waited. It probably wasn't 10 minutes, but it felt like it.

The sandwich itself was pretty good. The mayo/tuna mixture was a bit sloppy, but I know that some folks like their tuna melts a little messy, so I've got no big complaints about that. The separately-wrapped pickle wedge was a nice touch. The cookie was great. But $15.45, which didn't include a tip for counter service? That seemed a bit pricey.

I spoke with my college-age daughter about the price of food in Seattle, and she made a great point. In Federal Way, I expected lunch to cost about an hour's minimum wage. In Seattle, expect it to cost an hour's minimum wage. It's just a higher wage up here.

I ate in the park, watching a cover band and trying not to drip tuna on myself.

Grand Central Bakery
214 1st Ave. S.
Tuna melt, chips, cookie, soda, $15.45

No comments:

Post a Comment