Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 27: Harbor City

After a disappointing dim sum experience at Ping's, a co-worker suggested I try Harbor City instead. It's one of the top 10% of Seattle restaurants in TripAdvisor, and it was a great suggestion! Two stops away on the First Hill Streetcar, the place was packed. As a solo diner, I had the advantage of flexibility, and a few minutes after arriving, was asked if I minded sharing a table. I'm OK with that, and as soon as I was seated, the tea arrived and the dim sum carts rolled on in.

In the heart of Chinatown, this place is by Asians for Asians. As full as this place was, I only saw three other white guys. The language barrier was a little bit of an issue, but not too bad. The first cart brought me three BBQ pork buns and three shrimp/chive dumplings. The second brought me a half dozen honey walnut prawns. The third cart, laden with pastries, would have been too much food. I'll save that for another day. This is the kind of place that's best to visit with a group and share everything.

The BBQ pork buns were properly sticky, fell apart into quarters, but were just a tad too dry. The shrimp/chive dumplings (language barrier -- I thought I was ordering chicken) were outstanding. The candied walnuts were deliciously sweet, more candy than meal. And the prawns were crisp in their not-too-sweet sauce on a bed of lettuce.

Total time from desk to streetcar to Harbor City and back was well under an hour.

Harbor City Restaurant
707 S. King St.
BBQ pork buns, shrimp dumplings, honey walnut prawns, tea, $17.30



No comments:

Post a Comment