Tuesday, September 20, 2016

September 7: Calozzi's Cheesesteaks

After essentially striking out on my first three lunches (gritty dumplings, freezer-burned burger, over-priced tuna melt), I turned to the internet to see what I could find. Near the top of TripAdvisor's lunch suggestions: Calozzi's Cheesesteaks.

I'm a fan of a good, classic cheesesteak, and a few years ago, made the pilgrimage to Pat's King of Steaks in Philadelphia, who created the cheesesteak in 1930. If you don't order it with cheese whiz, you're doing it wrong.

A quick hop through the bus tunnel, and I'm at Calozzi's, outside of Rainier Square. I order the right way -- whiz wit -- and the foil-wrapped delicacy is soon mine. I forgot to order a drink, so I grab a soda from the mini-mart near the tunnel, and bring it all back to the office.

It's a sloppy, messy, drippy, gooey, hot mess -- just the way it should be. There's so much beef, the bun is dropping piles of it back into the foil when I pick it up. So. Good. Why do I have to wait until December to have it again?

Calozzi's Cheesesteaks
1306 4th Ave.
One whiz wit and a can of Coke from the mini mart, $12.69

No comments:

Post a Comment